Fire doors are part of security features added to prevent the spread of fire in a building. It also facilitates quick exit, allowing people to pass through the fire resistant space.
These doors are equipped with motor operators which automatically shut the door without losing spring tension.
Because of the added protection of a fire door, installing these doors are mandatory for various commercial buildings and industries.
However, just the presence of a fire door doesn’t ensure safety. Each potential user must be trained regarding to avoid misuse.
- Keep the door shut at all times. This will help prevent the fire from spreading in case of an accident. This simple step will keep the adjacent areas as well as the exit route safe from fire. It also assists in containing the smoke and heat inside.
- Don’t prop it open with wedges or try to bend the closing mechanism. You will not only risk rendering the door inoperable in case of a fire, but will also allow the fire to spread out in the corridors. This can increase the severity of the damage.
- Don’t install kick plates that are higher than 16 inches from the bottom. Larger plates will act as a heat sink, that is, they will reduce fire resistance of the door.
- Never install any equipment or furniture against a fire door. Also make sure no combustibles are near the door. Piling these items in front of the door will ignite them in case of a fire. These materials will then block the passage. This can be hazardous for people trying to evacuate the building as well as for the fire response personnel trying to extinguish the fire.
- If the fire door is no longer needed, get the door removed properly instead off just blanking it off. The empty space can then be used for storage or other purposes.
- Don’t nail or screw exit signs to the door. Creating a hole this way can reduce its fire protection ability, thus compromising your building’s safety. Small signs can be attached to the door by using adhesives. These signs should not cover more than 5% of the overall door area and should be attached to areas other than the fire rated windows.
If you need to install a fire door to comply with local authorities, give us a call today at 760-599-2611. We provide commercial fire door services including door installation and repair.